If you're in crisis and need to speak to someone:
▪ Contact the Samaritans - A service for all, not just those wishing to take their life.
Samaritans are available 24 hours a day to provide confidential emotional support for people who are experiencing feelings of distress, despair or suicidal thoughts.
▪ 116 123 (free to call from within the UK and Ireland), 24 hours a day
▪ Use the 'Shout' crisis text line - text SHOUT to 85258
▪ Call NHS 111 (for when you need help but are not in immediate danger)
▪ Contact your GP and ask for an emergency appointment
Other sources of advice and support:
Mind offers advice, support and information to people experiencing a mental health difficulty and their family and friends. Mind also has a network of local associations in England and Wales to which people can turn for help and assistance.
Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm (except bank holidays).
▪ InfoLine: 0300 123 3393 to call, or text 86463
Rethink Mental Illness works to help everyone affected by severe mental illness, such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, recover a better quality of life. It provides effective services and support and campaigns for change through greater awareness and understanding.
▪ National Advice Service: 0300 5000 927 (Open 10am to 2pm, Monday to Friday)
▪ Email (Rethink was formerly called the National Schizophrenia Fellowship)
PAPYRUS UK is the national charity dedicated to the prevention of young suicide. They support young people under 35 who are experiencing thoughts of suicide, as well as people concerned about someone else.
▪ Helpline: 0800 068 4141
▪ Text: 07786209697
▪ Email: Open 10am-10pm on weekdays and 2pm-10pm on weekends and bank holidays
▪ Parents helpline: 0808 802 5544 (Mon-Fri from 9.30am to 4pm)
▪ YoungMinds Crisis Messenger: text YM to 85258
Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) A helpline for men in the UK who are down or have hit a wall for any reason, who need to talk or find information and support.
▪ Helpline for men: 0800 58 58 58
▪ Webchat: 5pm to midnight, every day of the year
Sane SANE services provide practical help, emotional support and specialist information to individuals affected by mental health problems, their family, friends and carers.
▪ Support Forum:
▪ Saneline: 0300 304 7000 (local rate on BT landlines) Open 4:30-10:30pm every day